Last Updated on April 28, 2021 by ImmuneshieldAdmin

Sterols produced by plants are collectively known as phytosterols. The group encompasses all plant sterols and stanols that are structurally and functionally similar to cholesterol, the sterol produced by humans. The cell membranes of the plants come in a high concentration of these sterols.

How do plant sterol supplements work in the human body?

Indeed, the human body can synthesize cholesterol on its own. The liver and small intestine produce 80% of the total amount of cholesterol the body needs to stay healthy while the remaining 20% need to be supplied by daily diet and other sources.

However, human diets have drastically become unhealthy. This has led to the development of serious medical conditions linked to cholesterol accumulation in blood and tissues like hypertension and heart diseases.

For such reasons, many people are getting more and more interested in plant sterols. Clinical studies have revealed its potential in lowering total cholesterol levels in the blood by 10%. The action of phytosterols is found even more effective on bad cholesterol or low-density lipoprotein (LDL) as it can decrease the amount by approximately 12-14%.

Plant sterols reduce the levels of cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol that takes place majorly in the small intestine. These sterols also drive the disposal of biliary cholesterol through human stools.

On top of these things, the human body can only absorb phytosterols in trace amounts compared to the usual 55% dietary cholesterol absorption that prevents unhealthy accumulation.

How to increase plant sterols in the body

Evidence shows that consumption of approximately 2 grams of plant sterols daily can maximize the potential of phytosterols to reduce cholesterol levels. Due to this, it is rather unsurprising that many people are looking for ways to increase their plant sterol consumption.

Luckily, many sources can supply rich amounts of phytosterols. Here are the following:

  • Raw Foods

Foods like whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables are a good source of plant sterols. However, a person might have to eat A LOT, to meet the daily requirement of 2 grams.

  • Fortified Foods

Dieticians and nutritionists acknowledge the benefits of plant sterols on the human body. As a result, some food products like margarine, vegetable oil, and juice are being fortified with plant sterols for its consumers to harbor health benefits. These products come in calories and salts that can cause weight gain.

  • Plant Sterol Supplements

These products are plant sterols packed in capsules or chews. To meet the 2-gram requirement, people must at least take them 2-3 times daily, either before or after meals.

This is an appealing choice because these tablets do not contain extra calories, fats, and salts. They also seem more potent because the sterols reach the intestine faster and more effectively. And the most important thing is that no harmful side effects are recorded to date.

Questions about the Enriching Gifts plant sterol supplements? Contact us!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *